12/21/2008

RIP Sparks



On Friday I caught the news online that MillerCoors was being strongarmed into reformulating Sparks Alcoholic Energy drinks to no longer contain any "energy". A bunch of buzzkill state AG's have decided that caffeine, guarana, taurine, ginseng and malt liquor mixed together in a carbonated orange Dayquil and Sprite and Redbull tasting treat known as Sparks.

Basically MillerCoors has agreed to stop making Sparks in its current formula by January 10th, 2009 and begin dispensing a new formula which does not have caffeine, guarana, taurine, ginseng which they have deemed "poisonous" if mixed with alcohol. In reading the AG's notes I guess I should be upset at teenagers and underage drinkers who the AG's state that Sparks was targeting. Underage kids are going to get their hands on some sort of alcohol if they want to drink, it is not as if there was no such thing as Sparks the kids of today would be drinking milkshakes and going to the sock hop.

I am well above legal drinking age and I am being deprived of Sparks for ever now to protect the kids!! What about my choice? Can't even get a little caffeine premixed with your alcohol in the Land of the Free. What a load of shit.

I've been drinking Spark's on a fairly regular basis for the past 3 years or so, it is a great late night companion when playing video games or even just surfing the intranet. I'm also a fan of Sparks on a Sunday watching football. If I were to have 3 or 4 beers and end up taking a nap during the 2nd game, but drink Sparks instead and you can stay awake straight thru to 60 Minutes without any problem.

I will attempt to stockpile a small stash of the remaining 4packs in the wild over the coming weeks and save them for some rainy days. I told my mother on the phone tonight to pick me up a few 4 packs as stocking stuffers for Christmas!

No comments: